Jacob,

You didn't mention whether or not you might need to generate PDFs from RPG
programs, although you expressed an interest in bypassing spool file
generation. We do that with an RPG API that transforms HTML streams to
PDFs. The following is a web application that prompts users to fill out an
HTML form, then transforms it into a PDF. It shows the RPG source, which
handles both the web interface plus the PDF generation. You can click on
the Marriage Certificate image to test the performance of the application.

http://rd.radile.com/rdweb/info2/ibmiui19.html

We design HTML templates using Dreamweaver, as opposed to using designers
that might be embedded in proprietary tools. Developers might use any tool
they prefer for creating HTML templates. Then write an RPG program to
generate HTML streams that include data from an IBM i database, and
transform them into PDFs.

Nathan Andelin