Hello Michael,

Am 05.10.2020 um 16:28 schrieb Michael Quigley - Sec <MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Well, that's the next step once we ready a partition. I need to see if there's a distro with .NET Core support for POWER architecture. If not, we may have to spin up an Intel machine. This is a new area for our shop. It's been on the back burner for quite a while and I'm trying to get it moving ahead between several other projects.

I'm a great fan of Debian, since it's very lightweight, it's excellent package handling and proved almost painless upgrades to the next release. Remote. Without the need for a console.

Mono is the free implementation of .NET, but I never had use for more than just knowing it exists. :-)

You can "install" the Microsoft product, as well. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download I don't know what that "core" means. But there are official packages for Debian: https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/dotnet/core/install/linux But digging a bit further, I can only see packages for x86 and ARM. Since they proudly call it "Open Source", there most likely is source code to compile yourself on your platform of choice.

I strongly recommend to first try if Mono is sufficient for your purposes, or your purposes can be easily adjusted so Mono will be sufficient: Automatic package updates as security updates will be released, no manual labour of downloading and keeping a package built from source up to date, without being in a package, etcpp.

If you really need to compile form source, do yourself a favour and create a Debian source package from the original source tree. There's plenty of documentation online how to, and when starting from zero, it's a lot of work, but it's worth the work: If a new release busts your install, simply reinstall the previous version of the package. And you can easily get rid of it, if it's no longer needed. But this is a rather long way to go.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc