In October 2019, I started this thread:

https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201910/msg00125.html

It didn't get very far. An older thread on the same topic was arguably
even less fruitful:

https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201703/msg00037.html

Well, I'm revisiting it now, and upon reading some log messages
provided to us by UPS more carefully, I am beginning to get the
impression that the main issue comes down to establishing an SSH
connection between our IBM i and the UPS server.

All of the messages they sent us are like this:

[Mon Sep 30 11:46:31 2019] [info] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Connection
to child 83 established (server www.ha.ups.com:443)
[Mon Sep 30 11:47:46 2019] [info] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] (70007)The
timeout specified has expired: SSL handshake interrupted by system
[Hint: Stop button pressed in browser?!]
[Mon Sep 30 11:47:46 2019] [info] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Connection
closed to child 83 with abortive shutdown (server www.ha.ups.com:443)

They all show an "established" connection, then an SSH timeout 75 seconds later.

Is this something straightforward to diagnose/fix?

It would seem Eric DeLong rolled his own Host Access replacement using
APIs back in 2017. I did a quick proof of concept in Python last
November when I couldn't make progress with the Service Extender. Now
I'm trying to gauge whether fleshing out the Python POC would be
easier/quicker or giving the Service Extender another shot.

John Y.