Hello John,

Am 19.08.2020 um 03:49 schrieb John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx>:

Patrik, you should be able to start an FTP session without connecting,
or connecting to a bogus destination, and then issuing OPEN within the
session for your "real" connection.

So, I would think you can issue NAMEFMT in the "empty" session before
issuing OPEN. At least it's worth a try. (I cannot test this for
myself at the moment.)

Thanks for that hint! Don't know how tell the IBM client to *not* initiate authentication right after start. Unix FTP Clients usually just build the tcp connection when starting with -n, and then it's possible to close and reopen.

When I can't suppress this behaviour, I need to open the connection, authenticate, close before doing anything, and open/auth again. Seems to me I'm trading an error message suppression with increased load on the FTP server. :-)

In the long run, I'll have a look at the FTPAPI from Scott, or live with the server response about NAMEFMT. Depends on how much effort it is to implement a download with FTPAPI.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc