Rob,

Over the years, I had 3 different issues that caused high disk issues, not exactly your issue.

1) Halcyon joblog monitor looking for SSL errors for all jobs. Had to discontinue the use of this monitor.

2) A few months ago my R&D LPAR was creating thousands of QPWFSERVO jobs over a 2 hour window.
Noticed in QSYSOPR, QHST logs closing, quite often, every 7 seconds.
576 QHST logs were generated in this 2 hour window.
This pointed me to view QHST, where I saw the thousands of QPWFSERVSO starting and ending.
Based on the first and last message in QHST, using the job number as a reference, 292,571 QPWFSERVSO jobs started/end.

Root cause never identified, dead case with IBM support.

3)I had an issue back in 2015 (V7R1) where the a system task consuming 30% of CPU - EL-ERRLOG 29.6
Not exactly your issue.
Thousands of 1800 0061 VLOGs were created.
MF60070 and MF60348 resolved the issue.
problem gets triggered by
erroneous PALs being encountered, then the PAL size counter gets an incorrect value.
Once that size counter goes invalid, the VLOGs start.

Check your SST logs, PAL, LIC logs, etc.

Paul