This brings back memories of the first machine I ever worked on, a B35, in 1988 I think. Back then I was responsible for, among other thing, installing Client Access. The problem was that it required IBM's PC-DOS but all of our PCs had MS-DOS of course, so it refused to work. I had a quick look at the binaries and saw that PC-DOS was a hard-coded constant, so I used a disk editing tool to change it to MS-DOS and lo and behold it worked perfectly and my boss was a happy man!

Tim.

________________________________
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Patrik Schindler <poc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 07 July 2020 18:56
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Client Access/400 3 for DOS

Hello,

Am 06.07.2020 um 21:05 schrieb Patrik Schindler <poc@xxxxxxxxxx>:

When I do a test connect, the command STARTRTR is issued in a batch file. This one gives the error "5240 The Token-Ring adapter is not present". See screenshot at https://leela.pocnet.net/~poc/ca.jpg

Progress! After installing the LAN support program (more code to stay in memory, loaded via config.sys) and reinstalling the client, I was surprised to see drive letter I: being redirected to QDLS. From there, the startpcs.bat wants to start additional programs. Which apparently aren't there. I guess, the 5250 emulator is supposed to be there, also.

So I analysed the bat file to start the whole mess, just to see, that some stuff is expected to be found in I:\QIWSFL2 (/QDLS/QIWSFL2 on the AS/400). Copied the whole folder over and it works! See https://leela.pocnet.net/~poc/ca.jpg for the gruesome look. :-)

I still need to find out how to change the CA-Codepage to 273, so I can change the DOS codepage back to 850.

This whole mess isn't exactly userfriendly, as I remember other PC-DOS software of the era to be. Cryptic command line parameters, not easily locatable documentation which EXE to start for doing a task, etc.

Does anybody know about a PDF version of the Client Access/400 for DOS manual?

Of course, Google turns up no helpful stuff. Anybody remembers this ancient stuff?

Typical case of "try harder". :-)

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc