here is the backup and recovery guide:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_73/rzai8/sc415345.pdf

having a tape drive does make the process a lot easier. On the source
system, type GO SAVE and run option 21. Then on the target, GO RESTORE and
option 21.

without the tape drive you are running what option 21 does for you
individually, with the save files as the media.

you have to get the user profiles and system values first. then user
libraries. and all the IFS folders.

But you also need the licensed programs and PTFs to match. And the IFS
folders used by applications will be mixed with the IFS folders used by
open source applications. It can get to be a real mess.