Two things following up on this.

First in my 'Clean up your i' presentation which I do at a lot of user conferences I discuss cleaning up old crud. These tend to be land-mines and use a bit of resource during startup. They also add confusion "Do we user that? Should be active? What does it do?" and similar questions but of course these are only asked when stuff is busted and that's a poor time to be figuring that out!

Second leads to "Larry's law for communication configuration on IBM i." It reads like this:

'When creating any configuration object on IBM i, you should select the default for any parameter for which you do not have a specific reason, tech-doc, or direction from support to change.'

The reason for this is that those defaults were set by IBM and were set to be the proper value for most situations. Changing values that you do not understand can cause issues that, well, you don't understand! I have had to troubleshoot connection problems caused by what seemed to the uneducated to be reasonable changes that actually prevented communication! One of them cost my customer a $50,000 EDI penalty from their customer!

With your cleanup you likely got rid of something from 'long long ago' that no longer is best practice or potentially wasn't a good setting in the first place!

I am also working on a set of sessions: "Communications configuration for IBM i." Each session will be short and focus on one object or item such a the Line Description an IP interface, etc. These sessions will be delivered through COMMON.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com