From: MIDRANGE-L [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Don Brown via MIDRANGE-L
Sent: Saturday, April 25, 2020 7:15 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Don Brown <DBrown@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Printer problem with HP Laserjet Pro M404n

Jim, I am curious as to why you have specified *IBMSHRCNN ? Did you do this
deliberately or were you copying a config that had this.

I recently installed a HP428DFN at my home office and ended up with a
configuration very similar to yours and this thread interested me so I
checked my printer configuration.

I have always used ACTTMR(170) INACTTMR(*SEC15) to allow the printer to be
shared and was not aware of the user defined option.

This user defined option appears from what I have read to override the
inactivity timer.

I have included the explanation I found for reference below.

Cheers

User-Defined Options (USRDFNOPT)

This specifies, for spooled output only, one or more user-defined options to
be used by user applications, user-specified programs or the writer. A
maximum of four user-defined options can be specified. However, *IBMSHRCNN
is the only user-defined option that is supported by the SNMP print driver
code at this time.

Setting the User-defined options (USRDFNOPT) parameter to include *IBMSHRCNN
causes the print driver to open and close the connection to the data port on
the printer for every copy of every spooled file. This allows multiple
writers and systems to access the printer while the print driver is active
and there are files in ready status. However, you might not want to specify
*IBMSHRCNN if you want the printer to be dedicated or if you do not wish to
incur additional connection charges for each additional socket connection
that would be established. When this option is specified, the printer is
capable of being shared, and the value that is specified for the Inactivity
Timer is ignored.

It is recommended that the User-defined options (USRDFNOPT) parameter be set
to *IBMSHRCNN whenever configuring a *LAN 3812 SNMP device description.
However, it is required for an IBM InfoPrint 21 printer because this printer
will not operate properly if the USRDFNOPT parameter is not set to
*IBMSHRCNN. Also, it is strongly recommended that the USRDFNOPT parameter be
set to *IBMSHRCNN when printing to an IBM 4247, IBM 6400, or IBM Infoprint
6500 line matrix printer.

Note: Some users have seen problems where the font will change in the middle
of printing a spooled file when using a *LAN 3812 SNMP device description.
Setting the User-defined options (USRDFNOPT) parameter to *IBMSHRCNN appears
to help with this situation. However, downloading and applying the latest
recommended fixes may also be needed. For more information, refer to the
Required PTF Levels section above.