From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Patrik Schindler
Sent: 06 April 2020 16:34
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: P9, Linux and RDP like desktop virtualization

Hello Nathan,

Am 06.04.2020 um 16:30 schrieb Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>:

My understanding is that Windows RDP only supports a single session, while I suspect the Linux products support multiple.

What exactly is a "session" according do your definition? When I open up a RDP Client and connect to a Windows Terminal Server, there may be multiple users active at once, plus mine.

Frank Soltis has remarked on numerous occasions that *nix was fundamentally designed as a single-user operating system.

Maybe you're referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Unix

"At this stage [around 1970], the new operating system was a singletasking operating system, not a multitasking one such as Multics."

Apparently, it's not clear when UNIX adopted multi-tasking and multi-user capability. But if Frank refers to this 50 year old roots, to me it's the same when people in here rage that IBM i on POWER is not the AS/400.

Perhaps your testing confirms that.

No. His testing confirms either that the conversion of the XServer's remote protocol abilities to Remote Desktop Protocol sucks, or that the Browser's Code isn't really fast in PPC, as described in a former message.
If I remember right, the RDP Server components (for Xrdp) use VNC as a translational common protocol, and VNC *is* very slow. It's good because of platform independence and for remote service but I can't imagine to do serious work with it as transport protocol.

Just consider the overhead of hosting multiple Linux sessions on a single server.

It's less overhead than using multiple servers with single users. It's mostly the same as with Windows Terminal Services. What overhead are you referring to?

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc