Hi Laurence

This kind of thing can be done but not with bare-bones FTP, which doesn't have any of that capability.

This needs to use what are called exit points, there are security products which can set this up easily, or you can write your own program, which will be called at a certain point, an exit point, in the FTP process. This program needs to be registered to that exit point in the registry (not Windows registry) on IBM i. WRKREGINF can show you all the exit points.

I think you want the QIBM_QTMF_CLIENT_REQ exit point. Google for that and you should find information and examples - of course, IBM's documentation is the first thing to read, IMO.

HTH
Vern