Ah, that's better.

Git usually consists of 2 parts. A client (the one who does the checkout/commit of code changes) and server (the backend repository where changes get stored) such as Github, Bitbucket (Hosted) or something like Gitlab or Gitbucket (Self Hosted) where all the changes are stored. The backend repository server may also contain goodies such as a wiki, issue handling, change viewing, code snippets (like Github gists) or other components to make life easier. That's why Github is so popular as a hosted internet based git repository for open and closed source projects. Gitbucket appears to have some of the Github goodies, but it can be hosted on IBMi, Windows, Linux or Mac with no exposure to the web.

The piece IBM ships is the git client - for IBMi. Tools like the CL command based iForGit software that I wrote for PDM/SEU/RDI users (http://www.mobigogo.net) or other tools that also call the git command such as EGit in RDI/eclipse all typically use some form of the git command to check out and commit source from a git repository.

When there is a need to check-out or to save changes (commit) the git command talks to a git repository such as Gitlab, Gitbucket or the other ones I mentioned above. There are actually a LOT of different git repository server backends you can use now. Just google "git repo server" to see a large list. I just found out about Gitbucket when I was playing with a Linux NAS and saw it as a module and learned it was Java based. Naturally I then had to try it on IBMi just to see if it works and it seems to. Gitbucket uses a built-in H2 database and can also use MySql/MariaDB.

Technically the git command shipped by IBM can be used by itself to keep local IFS repositories without a git repository server and then you just back up the IFS files, but companies generally want to have a more functional git repository server.

I hope that adds a little more clarity to why Gitbucket is a potentially cool find.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
------------------------------

message: 4
date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 06:18:30 -0500
from: <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Gitbucket for self-hosted git repositories on IBMi

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, however I remember Jesse giving sessions at user
groups regarding using Git and using it as a source control mechanism on IBM
i . When I look at the open source options I see git at version 2.10.4-2.

Is that not what you were asking about?

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects