Heh.  "Toss bits all over the floor".

I'm in the process of taking an old Sager laptop with Windows XP and turning it into a dual boot Ubuntu machine for my son to get some hands on experience.  (Yes, I specifically want dual boot rather than virtualization, so that he gets some solid bare metal feel.)  Anyway, as much as I dislike Windows and as old and clunky as XP is, I find it much more forgiving and dare I say more intuitive than even the modern flavors of Ubuntu.  For example, I have an internal Wifi card that didn't work and an external Edimax dongle that works wonderfully on another machine.  Now, go find me a simple way to disable the internal card and enable the Edimax.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Anyway, I found answers ranging from blacklisting drivers (didn't even know that was a thing) to recompiling bits of the system to physically opening the laptop and removing the card.  None of them were universally successful and some of them had me spinning into dark areas of the Intertubes where evil things lurk.  Or at least some serious hackers.   I learned about lshw and rfkill and modprobe and all sorts of neat things.

In any event, I finally managed to get the internal card working (we won't discuss the fact that the Sager has both a function key to enable/disable Wifi AND an external switch that is literally black on black with black lettering positioned in a place that is both easy to nudge into an "almost on" position and also nearly impossible to see) so I never did solve the issue - I don't know that there is an easy way to disable the internal card.  There seems to be yet another way via editing rc.local, but I'm not going down that road today.  And the moral of the story is that there are some things that Linux does really, really well and some things that it doesn't.