Hello Holger,

Am 23.03.2020 um 16:11 schrieb Holger Scherer <hs@xxxxxxx>:

In my opinion the did a rather good job in virtualization, also considering the storage part.

I was solely talking about virtual disks in *OPSYS LPARs within IBM i as hypervisor. Just to be clear.

There is some caveat in resiliency - IBM i does not break when you switch
off the storage and reactivate it. You just need to be patient. But compared
to some weirdness of ESXi managing their fibre channels or iSCSI
paths it does not confuse their multi paths - which we saw several times
in the last 10 years.

I'm using NFS as backend for ESXi (10GbE/Jumbo Frames). While the I/O latency has considerably more jitter, the cache of the NFS server provides a lot of IOPs for frequently needed parts of vmdks. 18TB of data in 150 VMs. Yes, that's most likely very tiny compared to what some of you guys are used to.

Btw., ESXi 6.5 and 6.7 are considerably tolerant about outages of the NFS backend (I have no NFS experience with earlier versions). NFS-Server needs two minutes to reboot? No problem, when NFS is back, everythings' back to normal.

In my defence, I never had to manage "huge" servers, just some webby stuff with the well-known LAMP stack serving some 100 internet websites.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc