From close knowledge of Ransomware attacks on IBM i and 40+ years of experience, here are my two cents:
Ransomware, unlike Viruses, are a method of doing business for some crooks. Being a source of easy money, they are not going to disappear. One should always remember that each ransom payment shortens the time to the next attack.

Ransomware is not likely to run on the IBM i itself. Ransomware developers don’t find the IBM i popular enough to make the effort to write a dedicated Ransomware to run on it.

Ransomware attacks the IBM i by running on an attached PC which has a mapping of the IBM i IFS.

Anti-virus solutions are great against viruses. They assist in preventing viruses from being spread in the organization. IBM i Anti-virus solutions are pretty much useless against Ransomware. On the web you can find the story of an anti-virus which detected 250,000 files that were infected by a Crypto (=Ransomware) program. The AV just found a graveyard of destroyed and renamed IFS files. Absolutely not what the customer needed.

Anti-ransomware is designed to stop the attack as it begins. Not what an IBM i anti-virus will do.

I am the CTO of Raz-Lee Security, a company that has developed a commercial Anti-Ransomware solution for the IBM i.

In my capacity as a CTO, I have met quite a number of companies whose IBM i systems have been attacked. They only realized after the attack the amount of damage Ransomware may cause. It is far higher than that of a virus. A Ransomware stops activity for days, if not weeks. A high availability solution does not help.

In our laboratory, we have real examples of Ransomware and we let them attack a real IBM i. An attack is stopped instantaneously. The product can also hibernate or shut down the attacking PC, helping the organization to prevent additional damage.
Visit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhXLmrz_YRw to see a video of our Anti-Ransomware stopping a real attack!
All that with zero impact on performance.

iSecurity Anti-Ransomware uses behavioral, environmental and analytical detection to recognize and stop attacks made by known and unknown Ransomware. The product combines multiple different indicators to identify a Ransomware attack. When some but not all indications appear, it reacts based on the rate of suspected events to avoid false positives. A Ransomware attack simulator, which runs from a PC, comes with the product.

For more information visit https://www.razlee.com/anti-ransomware/

Regards,
Shmuel

Shmuel Zailer | CEO & CTO

E: <mailto:zailer@xxxxxxxxxx> zailer@xxxxxxxxxx W: <http://www.razlee.com/> www.razlee.com

T: +972 9 958 8860 M: +972 54 445 1070

US: +1 888 729 5334 x 2 Skype: Razlee_Shmuel