Just received this note from IBM.
Defect with no fix listed, server IPL required.

Anyone in the group experience this.

IBM i

IBM My Notifications

Stay-up-to-date on how IBM is transforming your support experience. <http://www.ibm.com/support/insider>

IBM i 7.3

POWER9 POWERVM Incomplete State During I/O Concurrent Repair or Dynamic LPAR of IBM i owned hardware<https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/node/2404215?myns=ibmi&mynp=OCSSC5L9&mynp=OCSSTS2D&mynp=OCSS9QQS&mync=E&cm_sp=ibmi-_-OCSSC5L9-OCSSTS2D-OCSS9QQS-_-E>

ATTENTION

Do not use concurrent maintenance, or dynamic LPAR on POWER9 servers under the following conditions:

1. The resource physically owned by an IBM i partition.

* If no IBM i partitions are present, this document does not apply.

* If the resources are owned by VIOS, AIX, or Linux®, this document does not apply.

* If the resources are Single Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) resources, this document does not apply.

1. The resource is a physical PCIe adapter, an EMX0 cable card, active optical cable (AOC), fanout module, chassis management card, or midplane.

1. The firmware fix and IBM i PTFs listed in this document are not applied.
Without the fix applied, the server can go to an incomplete state during the operation requiring server level IPL to recover.
________________________________
An incomplete state can occur only on a POWER9 PowerVM managed server at some time after one of the following operations:

1. Dynamic Logical Partition (DLPAR) operation to remove or move a physical PCIe adapter from a logical partition (LPAR).

1. Concurrent replacement of a physical PCIe adapter assigned to an LPAR.

1. Concurrent replacement of a Cable Card, cable, fanout module, mid-plane, or chassis management card from an EMX0 I/O drawer.
The condition is set up when one of these operations is blocked by the hypervisor because the resource is still in use. When concurrent maintenance is performed, the hypervisor ends with a return code of 0x0300. When the partition is powered down and the operation retried, the server can go to an incomplete state. Currently, the only known trigger for this problem resides in IBM i operating system.

Once the server is in an incomplete state from this defect, the server must be re-IPLed to recover management full operational capability.

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz
IBM i Systems Administrator