From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2020 12:47:52 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: 6.1 to 7.4 - how many hops?

Hi everyone! I know someone who is contemplating getting a 6.1 machine
current. This isn't exactly my area of expertise (my V5R4 box in the
basement is running just fine, thank you ). That being said, I just
thought I'd see what the general consensus is on such a move. Is it
better to go a couple of releases at a time, say from 6.1 to 7.2, and
then to 7.4? Or just bite the bullet?

I also came up with a short list of potential issues:

1. Hardware compatibility
2. SSL ciphers
3. Java version
4. SQL issues
5. Third-party software

Since they're already on 6.1, observability isn't an issue, but now that
I think about it, isn't there something to do with system state programs
these days?

Anyway, just reaching out to the community. I appreciate it!