Jim,

When you get to vFC on VIOS the configuration is as simple as the
ethernet/VTL, or very close. I document my installs in such a way as to be
able to re-create them with a simple script (that is also why I hate the
new HMC GUI, I had to script the whole PowerVM LPAR creation process just
to keep my devices matches between VIOSes).
Besides, if you have the rootvg living in the SAN as well you can take
snapshots of that for backup... (I've gone diskless on all the P9s I sell
lately, is not that hard to install to SAN and I haven't had a case where
having the rootvg but not the disks would help me).

Roberto

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 10:30 AM Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>