so our shop is an old traditional rpg shop supporting a fairly large mostly
green screen product.
it has a crappy screen scraping GUI on it I won't get into.

though we do have a hosted version in a SAAS model.

Our "senior IT leadership" is not of a mainframe/midrange background.

Our company recently started doing webservices for our clients, using
powerhub (and I'm not sure what else), but I do THINK it could be more
efficiently integrated right into our IBM i applications and database with
the use of say IWS (or a http web server) and using RPG/yAJL. I've done it
before at other shops.

So when I presented them (senior leadership) with this link...
https://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/Power-Systems/01/2020/rest-and-sql?utm_content=112727421&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin&hss_channel=lcp-6225

and a comment from me saying...
"I know powerhub is all the rage but the i and your existing IBM i talent
can do it all."

they responded with...

"Yep, but the cost is much more than a cheap Linux OS running it on a PC
with a 10 year-old processor and low memory! Also this way it works with
ProductABC too! ;-) "

and

"while i truly am an i advocate in this case I have to agree with him ...
heck I'm running Linux on a 15 year old Pc with no problems ... using linux
makes it easy to add additional virtual or physical servers and do load
balancing across the server pool ... "

I replied with...

"You guys certainly know your hardware better than I... but I don't see
where hardware even comes into the picture.

You simply configure a web services server on the current hosted IBM i.
Now our IBM i apps and IBM ilocal webservices (written in RPGLE or SQL) can
be invoked via http, directly on the i with programming by i developers who
know the database and programming already. I've proofed this out before
and had a working model on our DEV server once upon a time.

What cost? And... this way works with anything able to consume or provide
a REST webservice. We can return any modern data-interchange format (xml,
json)."

so, i'd like to hear the opinions on this board. I know what the i can do,
but I'm not sure what exactly they are talking about. Can anyone weigh in
on what they seem to be dead set on and what cost they are referring to?

tia

Jay