Well I do know there is SCSI overhead in there for sure but in theory the absolute maximum for LTO5 is only 280 MB per second uncompressed. This then is the amount of data that must traverse the link. That works out to only 2.35 Gb/s for the uncompressed data. That would put SCSI overhead on that at 121% if IBM's numbers are to be believed!! That's pretty rich.

Now I haven't analyzed this of course so it's potentially correct.

What you have configured of course is marvelously better and with LTO7 the theoretical bps is more like 6.3Gbps (raw and before SCSI overhead).

Moving to 16G and adding ports along with your SSDs should mean your backups are 'somewhat quicker' :-) :-)

As to the VTL the deal is it's THE SAME. The secret is going to be what can the VTL ingest before it queues up itself. A unit with RAID disk and only 4 drives (most of the minimum configurations) isn't going to be able to match an LTO7 more than likely maybe a single LTO6. Some of the more pricy units have SSDs in there and of course the bigger units have many more drives boosting ingest by a lot.

Nonetheless the IBM i side of the configuration is ALWAYS important and even with SSDs what you are backing up still matters.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com