https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/duplicating-libraries-logicals

https://www.itjungle.com/2004/09/08/fhg090804-story03/

and I have a printout from:
IBM Software Technical Document
Document Number: 531066934

which I cannot find on-line :-(

it is pretty close to the itJungle article.

Bryan

Joe Pluta wrote on 1/8/2020 9:21 AM:
Has anyone ever identified a process to handle either RSTLIB or CRTDUPOBJ for cross-library logicals: those pesky logical files that join physical files in two different libraries (they can also be created as SQL VIEWs these days).

The problem is simple.  I can create a logical ABC1/LF over ABC1/PF and ABC2/PF.  But if I save and restore those libraries to a different name (say XYZ1 and XYZ2), I end up with a "broken" logical.  XYZ1/LF ends up being created over XYZ1/PF and ABC2/PF.   The same happens if I try to do a CRTDUPOBJ of ABC1/LF to XYZ1/LF.

I have found no way short of recreating the logical file with CRTLF (or RUNSQLSTM for a VIEW) to link the logical correctly to both physicals.

This has been a problem for 30 years, which is why I've since avoided them like the plague.  But I have a few of them I'm dealing with right now and they're quite annoying, and I was hoping something had changed over the years.  :)