Patrik:

The short answer is yes, every partition needs it's own disk adapter and
disk units.

Now the longer answer is that those can be virtual disk adapters and disk
units hosted by the partition that has the physical disk adapter and disk
units.

First create the virtual SCSI adapters in the HMC for the hosting partition.
Those will end up with a resource name IE:CTL03.

Then create the virtual disk controller. See this:

PGM
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(SALS) CFGTYPE(*NWS) STATUS(*OFF) +
FRCVRYOFF(*YES)
monmsg cpf0000
DLTNWSD NWSD(SALS)
monmsg cpf0000
CRTNWSD NWSD(SALS) RSRCNAME(CTL03) TYPE(*GUEST +
*LINUXPPC) ONLINE(*YES) VRYWAIT(*NOWAIT) +
SHUTDTIMO(31) PARTITION(*NONE) PTNNBR(9) +
CODEPAGE(437) MSGQ(QGPL/SALS) POOL(*BASE) +
TCPPORTCFG(*NONE) TCPRTE(*NONE) +
TCPHOSTNAM(*NWSD) TCPDMNNAME(*SYS) +
TCPNAMSVR(*SYS) ALWDEVRSC(OPTVRT21) +
RSTDDEVRSC(*NONE) IPLSRC(*PANEL) +
IPLSTMF(*NONE) IPLPARM(*NONE) PWRCTL(*NO) +
SRVOPT(*NONE) TEXT('SALS DVD emulation')
VRYCFG CFGOBJ(SALSSTG) CFGTYPE(*NWS) STATUS(*OFF) +

FRCVRYOFF(*YES)

monmsg cpf0000

DLTNWSD NWSD(SALSSTG)

monmsg cpf0000

CRTNWSD NWSD(SALSSTG) RSRCNAME(CTL02) TYPE(*GUEST +

*LINUXPPC) ONLINE(*YES) VRYWAIT(*NOWAIT) +

SHUTDTIMO(31) PARTITION(*NONE) PTNNBR(9) +

CODEPAGE(437) MSGQ(QGPL/SALS) POOL(*BASE) +

TCPPORTCFG(*NONE) TCPRTE(*NONE) +

TCPHOSTNAM(*NWSD) TCPDMNNAME(*SYS) +

TCPNAMSVR(*SYS) RSTDDEVRSC(*ALLTAPE +

*ALLOPT) IPLSRC(*PANEL) IPLSTMF(*NONE) +

IPLPARM(*NONE) PWRCTL(*NO) SRVOPT(*NONE) +

TEXT('SALS Storage Emulation')

ENDPGM

That will create the network server descriptions needed.

Use the CRTNWSSTG to create the disk units:

CRTNWSSTG NWSSTG(SALS01)
NWSSIZE(40140)
FORMAT(*OPEN)
TEXT('35gB Storage for SALS')

Note: 35*1024=35480, but you have to leave room for virtualization and a
few other things that take about 12%, so I always use # Gig I want * 1024 *
1.12 = nwssize. Others may argue with the formula, but it works.

Add the disk units to the network storage by linking them. Easiest with
WRKNWSSTG. Follow the prompts.

Now create your new partition and you have storage. Clearly I did not show
you all the steps. I'm working on an open source version of a program that
would create the virtual devices on the HMC, build the partition, do the
above, then start the partition.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects