So this networking piece is the most often component to 'get wrong' or in many cases, 'simply ignored.' OOps. This is a key component where the network team and the IBM i team absolutely need to be working together. This because it is exceptionally rare for an IBM i System Admin to be very good at HA and simultaneously good at networking at this level!

You mention a 'stretched VLAN' normally referred to as a bridged VLAN. This is certainly an option and if it is available to you it is quite easy to utilize from the IBM i side. Bring down the 'Access interfaces' (Those used to access the system) on the production side and then bring them up on the HA side. A couple notes about that.
a) Don't use IP Addresses when you STRTCPIFC, instead configure alias names. This way you end and start them by name not address. In the future you might change them or you might change methods and those names don't change. It also means the SAME Startup and shutdown programs can be used on both ends. `
b) Make those interfaces virtual IP addresses. Why? Because when you start a virtual IP interface it does a 'gratuitous ARP'. What is that? It means that the interface announces on the network: "HEY! Anyone talking to IP address 192.168.0.1, it's now at mac address <new vIP mac here>!' This means that all switches and routers along the path will get that update instantly. Without this ARP the table entries will have to time out or be manually cleared by admins before the HA server is accessable. Same occurs of course on a switch back.

Another option is the use of routing protocols. In this scenario an IP subnet that is NOT currently in use in your network is used for these interfaces. So if you use 192.168.x.x in your network then perhaps 172.31.255.0 / 28 is used. Interfaces in this subnet are again placed on both servers as with the bridged VLAN configuration. However in this case routers are used to direct traffic to the correct server. Advantage over the bridge is it can work almost anywhere while a bridge is not always available. Routers don't have to pass broadcast traffic as a bridge does. Disadvantage of course is configuring the routers which is more effort than the bridged VLAN.

Load balancer equipment is always an option. It's generally quite good but quite expensive! With these units though both internal and external traffic can be handled and can be moved to other external connections easily. The units I am most familir with are from BIG-IP but others are out there and also work well. These units typically monitor both endpoints and when they detect production down and HA up, they redirect traffic to the available node.

The DNS swap has been mentioned and that can also be valid but must be planned for. TTLs for the DNS must be kept low so that changes to DNS propegate quickly. Default DNS TTLs are 1 or 2 days. That's clearly too long!! This also can handle both internal users and external users as well. Internal DNS is often active directory so staff generally can make this change easily.

And of course some of you use the 'twoicons' approach. Here there are are two icons on each desktop. One that connects to the production system and one to the HA system. Users must select the correct icon. This is my lease favorite approach!!

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com