Hello Gary,

thanks for your detailed descriptions. That's most helpful!

Am 12.12.2019 um 00:18 schrieb Gary Kuznitz <docfxit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Does it do a self test after spinup is complete? Can be identified as a brief
tickering noise from head movement immediately after reaching full spindle RPM
speed.
I discovered it does hum but it doesn't spin.

Thus, it's stuck. Or you maybe missed to jumper motor on properly to make it spin up by itself? There's also a small chance that the disk's logic board is partly defective, can't build a proper circulating magnetic field to make the motor spin and thus just hums when it tries. You can test this by exchanging logic boards from a known spinning disk with the defective one.

You see, finding errors is a lot of labor to rule out all possible culprits until you either get stuck because of missing tools or there could be no other possibility for the given issue.

I have taken it out. I have:
Turned it over when it was powered off.
Powered it up.
Turned it over while it was powered on.
I did not shock it while it was powered on because I
didn't want the heads to crash.

You can't lose more than currently. Try turning and stopping (!) quicker while the disk hums (tries to spin up). If that doesn't suffice, I'd use my fist to give it a good nudge on an edge to support spinup also while it hums. Do *not* use something hard to hit (hammer, screwdriver handle, etc) until you're really desperate. Using your comparably soft fist doesn't harm, as I experienced over the years.

I don't have a PC with Linux. Would you suggest I purchase a good used one and ship them both to you?

Nope. I'm in Germany, that would be a *lot* of shipping cost. And, I already have all the tools necessary.

I'm not sure it wouldn't hurt the drive more bouncing around during shipping.

If drives are not spinning, they usually can take a lot of bouncing around, as long as the bounces are soft, like the hit of your fist. Falling down from a table onto the floor (no carpet) would be way more harmful, if not fatal.

It's metal and plastic, no raw egg. ;-) Or let me put it like that: At the moment you have two options: Try to get the drive running again by all means possible, or give up and restore from backup(s). The latter will for sure provide it's own unique set of challenges.

Or would you suggest I load Linux on a PC and purchase a SCSI board and you can remote into it to check it out?

No. Since you already discovered that the drive doesn't spin up, I'd not invest unnecessary money.

Maybe it would be easier for us to talk on the phone?

We could probably do but I can't give you hints in proper nudging any better than by writing. :-) Also, I'm in GMT +0100 time zone.

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc