Hello Gary,

Am 11.12.2019 um 17:48 schrieb Gary Kuznitz <docfxit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On the error screen saying the drive in ASP 1 Unit 2 it says the Serial Number is 68-70B0E

That's what I also read from there. Sorry for being misleading earlier: I also had the impression that the first line was another disk. *facepalm*

This is the middle drive:
https://postimg.cc/nMCc348W

This is the Bottom drive:
https://postimg.cc/2qVXsSzC

I never cared to search for the serial number on the top plate. The proper serials are on stickers on the front of the disks.

I'm guessing in DST there is a way to display ASP 1 Unit
2 and it's ID to determine exactly which drive it's having
a problem with.

I never had the nerves to find a link between SCSI ID and the internal representation in hardware related screens. I'm always going for the serial numbers.

I can hear all three drives spinning up.

Does it do a self test after spinup is complete? Can be identified as a brief tickering noise from head movement immediately after reaching full spindle RPM speed.

Next step I'd do is to connect the disk in question to maybe a PC with a proper SCSI HBA and look with Linux (live CD) if the disk appears (lsscsi) and is basically ok (no syslog/kernel messages about read capacity failed). (Errors about "Unsupported sector size 522." are to be expected. Ignore them.) I'd do that, because I've a PC especially for testing disks around. Maybe it's easier for you to skip this step and try other step by step mentioned below.

If it shows up like described, the disk must also work in the 150. If it still doesn't after reseating, maybe the assigned SCSI connector on the cable might be faulty. Try to use another, at least temporarily to find the culprit.

If it does *not* show up under Linux, find and buy the same type of disk in the internet and exchange the controller board on the disk. I had success in one case with an old 9406-600 and the customer was very happy. In earlier years, I also repaired disks for common platforms this way.

If it does show up but fails to read capacity, you're most likely doomed. Usually this error stems from damage at the head amplifier chip (often located inside the case, to keep connections from heads to amp as short as possible). Depending on allocated space, you can easily restore backup on two disks instead of three. No need to insert a third one. With just two disks, everything will run notably slower, though.

If you get all three to work again, don't forget to type "go save" into the command line and use option 21 to do a full system save onto tape, preferably one which is safe to overwrite (old incremental backup).

Don't hesitate to ask for further advice if needed.

Good luck!

:wq! PoC

PGP-Key: DDD3 4ABF 6413 38DE - https://www.pocnet.net/poc-key.asc