NFS is great if you want to place files on a SAN, NAS , Linux, Windows or other storage server and not clog up the IFS with large files or large amounts of small files or if you have IBMi disk constraints.

Windows Server has built in Unix Services these days and of course Unix/Linux have NFS as do most NAS servers.

The biggest management issue is that you now have to make sure to back up all your PC/IFS style files on another platform as well as your IBMi backups so in essence you have 2 points of backup and failure. Not necessarily bad, just something to consider.

I generally only use NFS when I'm creating files that need to go to another platform for usage outside the IBMi and the customer doesn't want those file on the IFS.

You also have FTP, samba client commands and other mechanisms these days as well to move files between systems. The samba client commands don't require NetServer or NFS to be running.

To Jims point with NFS you have to maintain UID/GID combos. However you can also minimize NFS exposure on the remote server by allowing only the IP address of the IBMi to access the NFS shares.

I would not try to read/write file data from NFS directly. I seem to recall that was an issue so I would limit use cases to: Copy Files from NFS share to IFS for processing or Copy IFS files to NFS for Processing/Storage.

I believe IBMi can also have external SAN storage these days so IBMi data and NFS data could be placed on the same SAN as well depending on how your IBMi systems are configured.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net