From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of D*B
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 9:34 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: linked server and appserver4rpg

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not
click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know
the content is safe.

<Mike>
For years I have been using Scott's JDBCR4 package and it has worked great
and still does.

However as we are putting more and more data to SQL Server for GIS, I'm
finding that I might need some different approaches.

A couple of things that have popped up recently is a needing a join on a
file that now resides in sql server and a db2 file.
I don't know if I can do this at all, but I don't believe I can do this with
JDBCR4. Can I accomplish this with APPSERVER4RPG? Linked Server?

Also, I'm see the possible need to somehow kick off a job on the IBM I from
Sql Server. Can I do this based on a trigger with a linked Server?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Mike
</Mike>

Ardgate is using normal DB2 connect to other systems. DB2 can't join tables
from diffrent servers and so ArdGate can't. JDBC can't join tables from
diffrent servers and so JDBCE4 can't.
Linked Server has this capabilities for access from the MS SQL Server, but
this produces heavy workload, has some limtations and might be slow.
DB2 Federation Server costs lots of money, needs an additional server and
might be slow too.

Kicking off a job via a database connect shouldn't be a problem. Easy
solution would be to write a record (via linked server) to a table on as400.
This table has a trigger doing whatever needed.

For the join I would think about replicating one of the tables with a local
trigger to the remote database to have the data to join all in one database.
This should be possible in both directions.

The interesting diffrence between Ardgate and JDBCR4 is: ArdGate has one
prestarted JVM for all Jobs. It does its work in a multithreaded environment
and scales much better.

D*B