I'd suggest you contact IBM for support with that. They've bandaid'd their
SMTP server so much it's probably quite a maze to get around.

But if you're interested in something that works out of the box and has
support, check out www.bvstools.com/mailtool.html. We've had TLS/SSL and
authentication support for over 15 years with Gmail, Microsoft and others.
You can set them up at the system, user or command level for some great
flexibility as well. We also have options for OAuth 2.0 authentication
which is more secure (no user/pw sent in plain text/base64) and required by
some companies.

I also don't recommend using smtp-relay.gmail.com personally.

Also see this article:
https://www.fieldexit.com/forum/display?threadid=425

For the price you'll pay for it in the few hours it takes possibly get this
working with IBM's SMTP system.

Bradley V. Stone
www.bvstools.com
GreenTools for # Slack # <https://www.bvstools.com/g4slk.html>: Easy to use
interfaces for sending and receiving messages on Slack!