You have to think of this as more of a tool, rather than referring to it as software, because, you'll have to write code to utilize it, and its not something you install and have a manual for, and a menu you start up to check things like version levels and other stuff. Scott Klement at one time created a number of interfaces for using this tool from RPG. It has not been updated for quite some time, but, we've updated it for our own uses in house.

#1 - What version do you have installed? You download the java .jars and put them in a directory, and then you point your program to using that directory when you want to use the tool. You don't really have it installed in the traditional sense. The .jar files are usually named with the version of the tools that you downloaded, so, that should give you the version.

#2 - Go to https://poi.apache.org/download.html to get the latest stable build level. Be warned though, that the current version is more difficult to use than some of the older versions when accessing from RPG.

#3 - Yes. I've created filled cells with white font often. I don't recall rotating it.

#4 - The actual tool was not specifically designed for running on the I, its just java. So, you can go here https://poi.apache.org/index.html, and see some javadocs, and there are some examples.

#5 - Apache POI is the overall project name for working with office documents. HSSF is specific to spreadsheets within that POI project. Interesting trivia is that it actually stands for "Horrible SpreadSheet Format". There is also XSSF which is very closely related, and included with some of the same .jars, for generating the newer .xlsx type spreadsheets.