On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 1:14 PM DrFranken <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To me it is this one thing: When others hear you say "IBM i" or "Power
Systems" they expect you to be up to date with the current technology of
the machine. To be able to leverage it for success now and forward.

Respectfully, this depends a lot on who you mean by "they".

And MY reaction is why do YOU pwork SO HARD to keep a name from the past?!

Let it go. LET. IT. Go!!!

Respectfully, a lot of us have to deal with "they" who really just use
the term "AS/400", and they do NOT necessarily associate it with old
technology. They just won't learn the new name.

I am telling you this from personal experience of DOGGEDLY using "IBM
i", and correcting people almost to the point of obnoxiousness.

It.

Doesn't.

Work.

So, respectfully, I think it is "IBM i" pedants who need to Let. It. Go.

I *have* been putting in the effort to change the terminology. I *am*
the one who is fighting SO HARD to use a name from the present.

It.

Is.

NOT.

Working.

Look, I do not have any more time or energy to fight this fight with
the "they" that are around me. They see that I'm using Python. On the
"AS/400". They see that I've provided them a browser interface... to
code that runs on the "AS/400".

They don't give a flying you-know-what that they are using an
"outdated" name. They are happy with my work. They are paying me to
develop on this platform. Neither they nor I have the energy or time
to change how we talk about this thing.

Also, look at it this way:

Suppose IBM had not been so ridiculous with their naming.

What if ***IBM*** had left the name as AS/400, all the while enhancing
its capabilities and modernizing and whatnot.

Would you then be brow-beating ***IBM*** for using such an old and
antiquated name?

Please, to all the people who are prone to criticizing other folks for
using the term "AS/400", take a breath before you speak. Use that time
to think about whether what you are about to say is respectful. Think
about whether what you are about to say is necessary or useful. Should
we be using current terminology? Of course. Consider gently correcting
those who you haven't conversed with before. If, after a few more
gentle corrections, they still aren't using the latest terminology,
consider whether you've interacted with them enough to gauge their
competence and character. If they otherwise seem smart, and they have
clearly demonstrated they are using the platform well, with modern
techniques where applicable and practical, then cut them some slack
already.

And if they don't meet your standards, just ignore them and let them
go about their business. They are not influencers. They are not going
to ruin the platform by calling it "AS/400", nor would they be the
ones to save the platform if they could somehow switch to calling it
"IBM i".

Let.

It.

Go.