First I'll give a partial apology.
The error was not in anything that Verizon did.
The error was not in anything regarding Halcyon.
The error was in between.
My coworker had made some assumptions as to where the error was. And reported it like this to Halcyon. The partial to the apology is that Halcyon took the coworker's word and should have did a remote or some such thing to verify exactly what the issue was.
Honestly, I've been out of the Halcyon software for quite some time and forgot about everything about it. Their error logging wasn't too bad.
I went into
GO HALCYON
Did some setup to monitor a test message queue.
1. Display Message Log
SYS 00 10/16/19 11:28:26 Email not sent to ROBTEXT due to error HMC0385.
9=Comms Log
RCPT TO: <phone# at vtext dot com>
554 Relay rejected for policy reasons.

Now, being a Domino shop (sorta) I went and checked the log.nsf and noticed:
SMTP Server: Relay attempt failed By: 10.10.6.33 From: <POSTMASTER at DEKKO dot COM> To: <phone# at vtext dot com>
So then I went into the domino Configuration document for that server group and added 10.10.6.33 to both " Exclude these connecting hosts from anti-relay checks" and " Allow messages only from the following internet hosts to be sent to external internet domains:"
Worked like a champ.
Honestly I cannot tell why it was not killing us for years. I think before it was accepting the name instead of 10.10.6.33 but now I have to enter the number. IDK if there is some name resolution error which popped up with OS upgrades and patches, Domino upgrades and patches, or whatever. I hate to use numbers as there is likely to be a data center move and IDK if we'll keep the same numbers.