From: "Jon Paris" <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04/10/2019 08:43 AM
Subject: Re: Lines of code per day?
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Many years ago the contracting company I worked for took over a major
development that was badly behind schedule.

Turned out that all the file definitions (and there were many, many files)
were manually copied into each source file to up the line count because
the payment schedule was based on "progress" and "progress" was defined in
terms of lines of code. The result of course was chaos during development
as every time a layout changed they had to change every copy of it (and
frequently missed bits). We switched to using COPY to bring in the
definitions and most of the programs shrunk by about 40%. Became much
more manageable after that.

I cured me of ever thinking that LOC was a good measure of anything!

On Oct 3, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Musselman, Paul