<snip>
We've explained to our auditors that the PTFs are in a list that comes from IBM, and that we have no way of knowing what is being
fixed or updated.
</snip>

I'm not so sure about the accuracy of this statement.

For example
DSPPTF 5770JV1
Pick one. 5=Display PTF details
6. PTF Objects
The one I picked had this list:
Object Type
QXJ9VM *SRVPGM
QSI69085J1 *FILE
QPZ1JVM80 *PGM
QXJ9JNITS *SRVPGM

Now, knowing that a Java PTF usually replaces a few thousand stream files, I wonder if they were hidden in the save file QSI69085J1? Or, if the display is just being primitive due to it being 5250? The API mentioned in the very first post in this thread is clearly capable of handling stream files. But IBM might have chosen to mask that with the PTF's exit program and just have them restore from the save file. BTW, not all PTF's display a file in their PTF objects so be careful going down that road.