I should stress that learning bash would not be a bad thing, but with
some people (maybe most people) we'll be lucky if they pick up one new
thing, and if you're only going to learn one new thing, I would
strongly recommend that it be Python.

Roger indicated above he is already using bash and python.

What he *actually* said was that he *has used* shell scripts (maybe
bash, maybe not) and Python, but that he tends to shy away from shell
scripts these days, at least in part because he worries that other
people will not be able to maintain them.

And what *I* actually said was that if he uses Python for this task,
and his coworkers currently don't know Python, then it will be a nudge
for his *coworkers* to learn Python.

And then I said it would be great if his coworkers learned bash, but
if they can only learn one new thing, I would personally point them
toward Python, since it can do practically everything quite well;
whereas bash is excellent for automating Unix commands, but not for
general-purpose programming..

John Y.