My mind just doesn't go there anymore when the primary process is
CL/RPG/DB2. I just tend to think to fork a QSH command.

Sure. But making zip files selectively is more a shell script thing.

Indeed it is. Anything related to IFS stream files ought to have you
reaching for practically anything *other* than CL/RPG/Db2.

Plus, sadly, I have to think about someone else in my dept possibly
dealing with it down the road. <big frown>.

Yer typical someone dealing with it down the road is going to be younger
than you and your current co-workers and will probably know a good deal
less about CL than Bash and Python.

Roger might mean someone else in his department *now*, and those folks
might be the same age or older, and in any case are probably even more
entrenched in CL/RPG/Db2 thinking than he is.

But, I would still support the use of Python, unless it would get him
fired. It's really hard to go wrong choosing Python, in the way that
it used to be "no one got fired for choosing IBM". Python can serve as
a kind of shell scripting language. For some things, it won't be quite
as succinct as bash, but bash isn't as general-purpose as Python.
Python has such immensely broad usefulness, and it's just plain fun.
If you just go ahead and use Python, it won't be that you're
preventing other people from maintaining your code; it'll be that
you're giving them the nudge they need to learn something that will
ultimately serve them well.

I should stress that learning bash would not be a bad thing, but with
some people (maybe most people) we'll be lucky if they pick up one new
thing, and if you're only going to learn one new thing, I would
strongly recommend that it be Python.

John Y.