Direct connect to external storage for a single LPAR system should be straight forward.

Configure v5000 storage (Networking, Create Pool, add storage to pool)
Attached fiber cables between storage and POWER9 (Should be four cables, two adapters for redundancy)
D-Mode IPL on POWER9 (This will enable v5000 to see WWPNs of POWER9)
Create Host on v5000, map WWPNs from POWER to Host
Create Volumes on v5000
Map Volumes to Host
IBM I should see the disk at this point. (May require an IPL)

On storage
View Volumes. Each volume should be Online and show YES for host mapping
View Hosts. Host should show
Status “Online”
Host Type “Generic”
# of Ports (More than 0 depending on how you defined host)
Host Mapping “Yes”
Protocol type “SCSI”

In DST
Hardware service Manager you should see fiber adapters under Packaging Hardware Resources and/or Logical hardware resources.
OPT 9 on the adapter you should see the disk.