So the vHMC was a bit of a challenge.  First, getting the ova imported into vSphere was interesting (ESXI 5.1 [old]) but it runs fine.  The networking options did throw me though.  When I installed the wrong version initially, I chose "Open" but then the IP address of the FSP in the documentation kind of threw me (no DHCP server on the vLAN).  So, when I finally installed the correct vHMC version I chose "private" but then had to fire up a DHCP server to assign the address to the FSP.  The DHCP server triggered alerts on our network that there was a rogue DHCP server so, after successfully connecting to the FSP I then set static private addresses and turned off the DHCP server.  All is well. It's private in the logical sense, on a different network address block that my IBM i resources, but it's all plugged into the same switch.  There is nothing but my old BCS and my new P9 on that vLAN so it isn't a big issue for me.

It would be nice to have some discussion about the pros and cons and the implementation challenges of private vs open in the documentation.  But there was just enough info for me to get it working....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
Twitter - Sys_i_Geek IBM_i_Geek