There are three ways to do this.

1) If hosting from IBM i: load this media into the host partition as an image catalogue. Load it into a virtual optical drive. Share that virtual optical drive via vSCSI. Set that vSCSI path as the alternate IPL. Make it happen.

2) If hosting from VIOS: load this media into the VIO partition as a media repository. Load the first volume into a virtual optical drive. Share that virtual optical drive via vSCSI. Set that vSCSI path as the alternate IPL. Make it happen. Note that you may have to change media on the VIO partition as each is completed.

3) If neither of the above but you have another IBM i server available. Load the image catalog there and verify it. Be sure to specify YES for the NFS Share. This will build a BOOTP directory in the catalog directory. CHange your TFTP server for that directory to be the alternate source directory and start it up. Export the image catalog directory with NFS as public read only ('-i -o ro'). Configure the partition to have an Ethernet as the alternate IPL. If it's a virtual Ethernet you're good if it is a physical card you must cable port T1 (Top port) as the code will use that port only. Start the IPL either from the HMC CLI or with current code levels you can indicate the needed parms through there. Note that you will need an IP address and subnet to assign to the new partition for this so it can boot from the BOOTP and NFS shares.

Note that in all three cases you will end up doing the entire restore this way. You desired to complete after moving the images onto the partition but you can't do that without tape or physical optical or USB until you have TCP/IP running. If you've gotten that far you're already set up to restore most of everything that way.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

IBM Champion
www.Frankeni.com