What this parm does is set a value in the spooled file.

When the data is printed and transformed to the specific printer, this information is available for the printer driver to read if it chooses to.   If it does so, it can send the appropriate code to the printer to make it print multi-up.

The tricky part on IBM i is that most printer drivers (aside from AFP printers, anyway) don't look for these options and send the appropriate code to the printer.  So whether it works for you isn't a function of 'knowing the ins and outs of this parameter' (there aren't really any, it's just a number stored in the spooled file) but rather how good is the printer driver you're using.

If you want to get into writing your own driver, of course, its no problem...  you can make it use all of these parameters and more.