From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Richard Schoen
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:23 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IFS limits

Boy have I got an IFS story for you.

Found out the hard way on IFS limits several years back with a customer.

Customer was generating 1,000,000 documents per month. Yep, per month.

We discovered ownership limit was about 1,000,000 documents.

Started getting user issues and things blowing up.

Ended up creating a directory each week I believe and a new user profile to go with it.

Now talk about painful management of objects.

250,000 is probably not bad, but probably time to open a new directory if possible.

Either way with that many objects IFS backup time is probably slow.

And eventually you may see object ownership issues unless ownership limits have been bumped up.

Many customers that I have worked with have migrated to using NFS and SAN these days which means you treat it like IFS, but it's not.

And object ownership issues go away and you have to back up the SAN or NAS of course. But that disk is much, much cheaper.

Hope this helps

Regards
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phn: (612) 315-1745

message: 1
date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 10:21:32 -0500
from: Joe Pluta <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: IFS limits

I agree with that sentiment, John.? The last time I had a situation where we had a large number of files in a directory, we started seeing various performance issues. Lists took much longer than simple linear math would have suggested, some utilities couldn't handle the number of files, various commands in QShell had problems, and so on.

Generally speaking, I prefer to limit the number of files to the low thousands.? After that, I try to come up with a subdirectory management structure.