Hi, Larry,
Using RTVCLSRC of QMNSAVE will always be "up to date" and it should be easy enough to issue RTVCLSRC of QMNSAVE after any PTFs or OS upgrades (saving to a new member name), to see what was changed ...  use CMPPFM for that.

So, it should be fairly easy to maintain a "customized" version of e.g. QMNSAVE, especially if kept in a separate QSYS1 library, where IBM PTFs will not directly affect it.

Hope that helps,
Mark S. Waterbury