Steve I might have missed this but are you inserting the UTF-8 data from .Net or RPG ?

I went through this exercise using the ODBC driver this morning with .Net.

There's a Unicode switch required and then it's transparent to .Net.

Driver={Client Access ODBC Driver (32-bit)};System=1.1.1.1;Uid=USER1;Pwd=PASS1;UnicodeSQL=1;

If using RPG, file for future use...

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p. 952.486.6802
w. helpsystems.com

message: 3
date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 14:35:43 +0000
from: "Kevin Adler" <kadler@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: how to insert hex data into UTF-8 column?

A hex string is still a character string, so it has an encoding. You can
use the BX prefix for binary hex strings: BX'01020304'. You can see what
the CCSID it will be assigned here:
[1]https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_72/db2/rbafzcharconst.htm
?