Hi Chris

which of these do you want to "free up" and why ?

If it is temporary storage, how much temporary storage is your system
actually using, is it really excessive ?

-- My notes for calculating whether this is bad or not are as follows:
-- From the Current unprotect used field, determine what percent of the
system is comprised of current temporary space allocation through the
following formula:
-- % of temporary space consuming system storage = -- (Current unprotect
used in M bytes / Total ASP in G bytes) / 10.

-- If this value is higher than it should be, you may have a temporary
space problem - for most systems, 5% or less is normal.
-- The Maximum unprotect field allows you to get an indication of how much
temporary-- space has been allocated since the most recent IPL.
-- Keep in mind, it is not what is currently allocated in temporary space,
but a "high water" mark.
-- Substituting the Maximum unprotect for the Current unprotect used in the
formula above shows the amount of temporary storage that has been consumed
at one point since the most recent IPL.

I am not sure how accurate the 5% guideline is these days, but generally I
look to see if the temp stg is constantly increasing which might indicate a
memory leak and possibly a PTF being required.

This page:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/Temporary%20Storage%20Consumption%20and%20DB2%20for%20i

has the following SQL to deterine the top 10 temporary storage consumers:

WITH TOP_TMP_STG (bucket_current_size, bucket_peak_size, q_job_name) AS (
SELECT bucket_current_size, bucket_peak_size, rtrim(job_number) concat '/'
concat rtrim(job_user_name) concat '/' concat rtrim(job_name) as q_job_name
FROM QSYS2.SYSTMPSTG
WHERE job_status = '*ACTIVE' AND
JOB_NAME IN ('QZDASOINIT', 'QZDASSINIT', 'QRWTSRVR', 'QSQSRVR')
ORDER BY bucket_current_size desc fetch first 10 rows only
)
SELECT bucket_current_size, bucket_peak_size, q_job_name,
V_SQL_STATEMENT_TEXT, B.*
FROM TOP_TMP_STG, TABLE(QSYS2.GET_JOB_INFO(q_job_name)) B

I guess ending the jobs should reduce the associated temporary storage.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 11:53 AM Christopher Bipes <