Your question "It should be possible to use any character set for panel
groups should it not?".

CCSID 278 uses character set 697 which is basically Latin-1 and covers a
wide number of western European languages as shown below:

CCSID Character Set Code Page Country/Language
00037 697 37 U.S.A., Canada, Netherlands,
Portugal, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand
00273 697 273 Austria, Germany
00277 697 277 Denmark, Norway
00278 697 278 Finland, Sweden
00280 697 280 Italy
00284 697 284 Spain, L.A. Spanish
00285 697 285 United Kingdom
00297 697 297 France
00500 697 500 Switzerland, Belgium
00871 697 871 Iceland
and more

so character set is not really your problem as it's the same across all of
these languages. You might notice though that while the preceding CCSIDs
all use character set 697, they do use different code pages. In the case of
CCSID 278 (code page 278) the code points x'D0', x'C0', and x'6A' map to
the characters a with ring above, a with diaeresis/trema, and o with
diaeresis/trema respectively which is what you want. In CCSIDs (code pages)
500 and 37 these code points however map to left brace, right brace, and
vertical bar respectively -- which is what you're seeing. This is in
contrast with CCSID/code page 277 where these code points map to a with
ring above, aesc/ash (æ), and slashed o (ø) respectively. So I suspect that
a different CCSID, such as 500, is coming into play here. Check your device
configuration and device CHRID and refer to this page
<https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_71/nls/rbagsccsiduimpnlgrpsup.htm>.
And just to play it safe, perhaps look at your source file in hex to verify
the code point values that are stored.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 4:36 AM Åke H Olsson Datakonsult <