Booth

You don't mention that you read anything from IBM - they have
the ILE Concepts manual
(https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_71/ilec/sc415606.pdf)

and an ILE Example manual
(https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_61/books/sc415602.pdf)

You might need to copy the links in pieces and reassemble to paste into a browser.

I think I'd start with the example - you don't need to grasp everything in the concepts, but maybe look at that, first, at the first few concepts - the basic stuff.

Others can certainly modify my suggestion - I'm shooting from the hip.

HTH
Vern