Okay, now I get to really show my ignorance.  You say "reach out to the HMC".  This seems to imply that a program running on IBM i can execute a command on the HMC. This would make sense, and would be very cool.  I found a document that explains the process in detail, but it does seem to rely heavily on SSH, an area where I'm not exactly an expert.  (I know that's a large field, but be nice, it's the holidays.)

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1019126

So, is this document, though a bit long in tooth, still what I need to do?  Because it then opens up some other very important capabilities.