From: "Mitchell, Dana" <dmitche@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: NFS security solved
Date: Fri, Nov 30, 2018 2:15 PM

As it turns out, it is WAD. But ultimately, I was overestimating what
it was doing.

The NFS client sends UID and GID of the user to the NFS server. What I
*thought* it would do, is look up what IBMi user profile on the NFS
Server system had the corresponding UID and use that user profile to
allow/deny access to the files. All it actually does is looks at
the UID and GID on the files/directories to determine access. If
there is no matching IBMi user profile with a matching UID or GID, then
the 'anonymous user' user profile is used to allow/deny access to the
files.

Apparently this fact is little known within IBM as it took a L2 guy to
webex into our system for a while to determine what was going on.

Dana