This machine has a 'sister' machine that I can drill down through WRKHDWRSC *STG and take opt 9 next to the storage controller and see its tape drive:

Opt Resource Type-model Status Text
DC01 573D-001 Operational Storage Controller
DD004 4327-074 Operational Disk Unit
DD002 4327-074 Operational Disk Unit
DD003 4327-074 Operational Disk Unit
OPT01 6337-002 Operational Optical Storage Unit
TAP01 5755-001 Operational Tape Unit <=====
D01 28D2-001 Operational Device Services
DD001 4327-074 Operational Disk Unit

But when I try the same commands on the machine with the trouble I never see a tape drive:

Opt Resource Type-model Status Text
DC05 6B02-001 Operational Storage Controller
OPTVRT01 632B-001 Operational Optical Storage Unit

Opt Resource Type-model Status Text
DC04 571B-001 Operational Storage Controller
DD006 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit
DD007 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit
DD009 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit
D02 292D-001 Operational Device Services
DD008 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit

Opt Resource Type-model Status Text
DC01 573D-001 Operational Storage Controller
DD003 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit
DD004 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit
DD002 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit
OPT01 6337-002 Operational Optical Storage Unit
D01 28D2-001 Operational Device Services
DD001 4327-050 Operational Disk Unit