In several cases we are aware of the software license said: "Use in perpetuity" AND without maintenance. The consequence was that they weren't going to get any support and so customer did so. They self maintained.

Then a time came when it was discovered that some of the programs, usually a small subset, had neither source code nor observability. In the mean time the software was acquired but an unINFORmed company that effectively change the license retroactivly.

So now the customer contacts them and asks how to get the needed modules to move beyond V5R4. Said vendor says: "Pay the 15 years of back maintenance and you're good." Customer says: "I could buy the package NEW for less than half of that! Can I do that?" "Nope as you are already a customer, no." So customer leaves IBM i and unINFORmed vendor loses another customer. Customer was willing to pay perhaps 2 or 3 years back maint and also guarantee 1 or 2 future years. However vendor demanded 100% but got 100% of nothing. Makes no sense sadly but I've seen it multiple times.

Woldn't you hate to be that sales guy??

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.Frankeni.com