2 licenses for the os with 8 processors currently. Sitting at 500 interactive sessions right now. I've seen it as high as 600 recently. We just added a client and we are creating 100 workstation id's for them - all with an A & B session. I don't expect we will ever get all 200 active at the same time, but probably 75-100 active during the day in the next few months.

I haven't dug into adding an ASP, but it is on my todo list before we do this migration.

________________________________
From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Steinmetz, Paul <PSteinmetz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:40 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: New system configuration

I currently have a very similar scenario, no Vios, combination of SSD and 10kspinny on P7, we are ordering a P9 S924.
The 10kspinny are slow, not 100% busy.

How many i5/OS licenses do you have?
Lots of 5250 users - how many? We have 1000+.

My plan is to have Production LPAR own all the hardware, (DASD, Ethernet).
100% SSD.
Production LPAR will host all other LPARs.
Using a new HMC, CPU, Memory, DASD and Ethernet will be virtualized.
For DSAD - 5 NSD with 6 NWS of 500gb each. 30 NWS total.
Create more if needed.
Ethernet - Ethernet Link Aggregation on Production
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1010789
IBM Configuring Ethernet Link Aggregation - United States<https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1010789>
www-01.ibm.com
This document contains information on configuring Ethernet Link Aggregation.

Client Ethernet LPARS will be bridged.
https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas8N1011193

For Tape backup, each LPAR does have its own FC adapter connected to our 3573 LTO7 tape library.

If you can't justify 100%SDD, consider at least having LIC and OS on SSD in the system ASP.
Create ASP02 for all your data .

I currently have a 2 ASP setup on R&D.

Paul